Electronic form of Labanotation

From: Dan Kolis (dank@hq.lindsayelec.com)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 11:04:04 EST

>It is not currently encoded, no. It does seem a bit beyond the scope of what
>Unicode's goals are (in my humble opinion).
>MichKa
>Michael Kaplan
>Trigeminal Software, Inc.
>http://www.trigeminal.com/

Dan (That me, says):
Hmmm. I think I read in the unicode consortia that symbologies; (like
schematic component symbols) is slightly afield from there mandate. I would
guess (well, estimate) the number of unique combinations to make a lexicon
of fixed symbols would be exceedingly high, and using the diacritical
placement concepts wouldn't place them accurately enough to look familiar. I
don't think this is a good candidate for inclusion in Unicode.

Labnotation and Benish both encode motion; typically dance:
Intro for labnotation:
http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~griesbec/LABANE.HTML

I may be out of place here to suggest this; but perhaps the reason computer
encodings of these are always bad is the notations are poorly crafted. I
know its exceedingly politically incorrect to criticize a language as ill
formed, but it isn't a language, its a notation. I gave an expert reader
(certified in Paris by there charter school) Benish for a Three stooges
routine without telling her what it was. The skit was not interpreted well
enough to be recognizable. Others suggest since the invention of film and
videotape, the notation itself isn't too important anymore. Seems to me a
user interface could be crafted and transfer motion vectors into something
like ASN.1 I wonder whether the videogames industry has live motion capture
notation standards so you could cut and paste motion from application to
application.

Regards
Dan