Re: international characters in email subject line

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 18:44:59 EST

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Michael (michka) Kaplan wrote:

> From: "Raghu Kolluru" <raghu.kolluru@dig.com>

> > I would like to send email in international charsets. I am able to send
> the
> > body using the desired charset but not the subject line.

The question is so vague. If you need to get some help, you've gotta
provide as much information as possible(what mail program under what OS
for what character set....). There are so many possibilities and nobody
would wish to go thru all of them.

> What mail program are you using?
>
> Many of them (Exchange, Outlook, etc.) do not support this. Some do not even
> support international text in the body.

Mozilla and Netscape 6 support entering subject header in whatever script
for which input methods are available/installed in the OS (MS-Windows,
MacOS, Unix/X11). In this respect, I18N of Mozilla/Netscape 6 is ahead
of that of MS Outlook. The same is true of display of subject headers
in scripts which happens not to be supported by the default codepage
(to use MS terminology). BTW, one of the worst MUAs in terms of I18N
(among the widely used) might be Eudora.

BTW, most modern Unix text-based mail programs (e.g. Pine, Mutt)
work fine in this regard as long as you run them under the terminal
that supports input/ouput of the charset you want to use
(for UTF-8, the newest xterm works well for a pretty large range
of the BMP).

Jungshik Shin