Myanmar questions

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine.Leca@renault.fr)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 11:14:51 EST

Hi folks,

I am looking Burmese, beg your pardon, Myanmar, and I can find answers from my
available sources to most of my questions, however I still have some unanswered
ones.

1) for the "au" dependent vowel, I believe (extrapolating from the one for "o")
the correct encoding is U+1031 U+102C U+1039. However the use of the virama inside
of a "matra" part looks surprising to me (and it creates problem to my renderer).

2) There appears to exist a special vowel usually named "ui", which looks like
as a combination of i (above) and u (below). How is it supposed to be encoded
in Unicode? u before i (as pronounced)? i before u (as usual with Unicode,
above before below)?

3) The vowel bearer (1021) is reported to be the one to use at intial when there
is no consonant, along with the appropriate vowel sign. However, Unicode also
encode the individual glyphs for the independant vowel which does not look like
the bearer+the vowel sign. I.e. there does not exist Long A (a space is available
at 1022), so I understand I have to encode it as U+1021 U+102C. However, for
short i, I can use either U+1021 U+102D, or U+1023. What is the preference?

4) I have in my references another glyph, which looks like 4 but with a straight
leg; it is the same as the first part of U+104E, "asformentionned". I do not know
the name of the symbol ("leng"?), nor its real use (I guess it is used only as
part of the U+104E abbreviation). However, what is the recommanded translation
for such a symbol if we encounter it in the wild?

5) I can't figure how looks like "kywe". Is it base_ka + wa_below + ya_to_the_right
(but then what is the difference with "*kwye"?), or is it base_ka + ya_to_the_right
+ a_special_wa_deep_below, the latter being under the "arch" of the ya?

Since a drawing always is easier to understand, here are my ideas:
<FIXED FONT MANDATORY>
         ____ ____ | ____ ____ |
        / \ / \ | / \ / \ |
       / \ / \ | / \ / \ |