Re: Implementing Complex Unicode Scripts

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 17:56:19 EST

At 10:57 AM -0800 2/26/01, jgo wrote:
> > Doing complex character-to-glyph mapping involving
> > the OpenType tables is another matter. My understanding is that the MacOS
>> can do the former, but cannot yet do the latter.
>
>Well, the Apple folks who should know are on the list, so let's ask them.
>
>I'm also curious about the differences in 9, & X (Carbon & Cocoa).

Apple has a rival (and older, BTW) extension of TrueType now referred
to as AAT (Apple Advanced Typography) which also allows complex
character-to-glyph mappings.

This technology is available to developers on Carbon through ATSUI
(Apple Type Services for Unicode Imaging) and MLTE (Multi-Lingual
Text Edit) APIs. It's also available to anyone doing Cocoa
programming.

As for OT support, we're investigating how this might be done on the
Mac at the system level.

--
=====
John H. Jenkins