Re: TRON

From: Thomas Chan (thomas@atlas.datexx.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 17:58:33 EST

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 hiura@eng.sun.com wrote:

> > From: "Suzanne M. Topping" <stopping@bizwonk.com>
> > After doing some surfing on the topic, it appears to be in at least some
> > use (primarily in Japan?) I hadn't thought there were any viable
> > alternatives to Unicode out there, and was surprised to see TRON looking
> > as alive as it does.
>
> A recent version of the comercial implementation of BTRON from
> Personal Media, called Cho Kanji 3(Cho means Super in Japanese),
> claims 171,500 characters are supported. While we take the
> approach of unifying glyphic variants, their approach on this is to
> distinguish them all.

I believe the website is http://www.chokanji.com/ . However, that
171,500 figure should at least be halved before even beginning discussion
or comparison to Unicode, as it inherits the collections of both Mojikyo
(http://www.mojikyo.org/) and Tokyo University's GT Mincho fonts
(http://www.l.u-tokyo.ac.jp/GT), which both have included the 48,000+
kanji from the _Dai Kanwa Jiten_ (aka Morohashi) dictionary, i.e.,
flat-out overlap, and not an issue of who considers what to be a glyph
variation.

Contents of Mojikyo (~80,000):
  http://www.mojikyo.org/html/download/pdf/pdflist.htm

Contents of GT Mincho (~64,000):
  http://www.l.u-tokyo.ac.jp/KanjiWEB/04_01.html

Contents of Chokanji (~171,500):
  http://www.chokanji.com/ck3/webp/soft.html#mojikind
  http://www.chokanji.com/ck3/webp/feature-moji.html

(Above websites are in Japanese, but there are some pictures.)

I'm not sure about the "universality" of any of these; the emphasis seems
to be mostly on kanji--they can only be a regional [Japanese] alternative
to Unicode.

Thomas Chan
tc31@cornell.edu