From: Thomas Chan (
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 17:58:33 EST

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 wrote:

> > From: "Suzanne M. Topping" <>
> > After doing some surfing on the topic, it appears to be in at least some
> > use (primarily in Japan?) I hadn't thought there were any viable
> > alternatives to Unicode out there, and was surprised to see TRON looking
> > as alive as it does.
> A recent version of the comercial implementation of BTRON from
> Personal Media, called Cho Kanji 3(Cho means Super in Japanese),
> claims 171,500 characters are supported. While we take the
> approach of unifying glyphic variants, their approach on this is to
> distinguish them all.

I believe the website is . However, that
171,500 figure should at least be halved before even beginning discussion
or comparison to Unicode, as it inherits the collections of both Mojikyo
( and Tokyo University's GT Mincho fonts
(, which both have included the 48,000+
kanji from the _Dai Kanwa Jiten_ (aka Morohashi) dictionary, i.e.,
flat-out overlap, and not an issue of who considers what to be a glyph

Contents of Mojikyo (~80,000):

Contents of GT Mincho (~64,000):

Contents of Chokanji (~171,500):

(Above websites are in Japanese, but there are some pictures.)

I'm not sure about the "universality" of any of these; the emphasis seems
to be mostly on kanji--they can only be a regional [Japanese] alternative
to Unicode.

Thomas Chan