RE: Unicode complaints

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 04:24:44 EST

> In hunting around for negative opinions about Unicode, I've found that
> the majority of complaints relate to CJK character sets. Would listers
> agree that this is the largest area of unrest? Or is it just
> that people
> involved with CJK are vocal?
> I've read periodic questions or comments from people dealing with bidi
> languages, but there doesn't seem to be the same level of discontent.
> Does this accurately reflect reality, or have I missed something?

I think that comments on CJK ideographs and on alphabetic scripts are
qualitatively different.

Looking back, seems to me that most negative comments about CJK character
that I have read (or written) tend to be quite general and not to ask for
any real changes (e.g. "they are too many"; "they are too few"; "they could
have been decomposed into radicals"; etc.).

On the other hand, comments to alphabetic scripts tend to be punctual: often
people ask that a *particular* character is added, or that a *specific* rule
is changed, deleted, better explained, etc.

_ Marco