FW: Persian alphabet

From: Magda Danish (Unicode) (v-magdad@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 17:54:17 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: Vladimir Ivanov [mailto:iranorus@online.ru]
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 10:13 PM
To: info@unicode.org
Subject: Persian alphabet

Dear colleagues,

If it is the right address to send questions, may I ask you the
following:

Does the standard of UniCode include standards on alphabetical order for
the letters and other symbols, used in different languages. Our problem
is in Arabic and Persian alphabetical sorting. We are using Microsoft
Word, Excel, Access under Windows 2000, which claims to support UniCode.
If you use Arabic keyboard for input and sort Arabic words everything is
OK. But if you use Persian keyboard, sorting is done incorrectly:
a) Persian "Kaf" is put after the last letter in alphabet, though it
should be put in the same place where Arabic "Kaf" is.
b) "Vav" is put after "He-havvaz" like it is in Arabic, though it should
be done vice versa in Persian.

We are unable to criticize Microsoft until we can refer to a standard.
Is there such a standard?
Are there UniCode standards for keyboards?

Sincerely,
Prof. Vladimir Ivanov,
Moscow State University,
iranorus@online.ru <mailto:iranorus@online.ru>