Re: Chess symbols, ZWJ, Opentype and holly type ornaments.

From: Lars Marius Garshol (larsga@garshol.priv.no)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 03:30:23 EDT

* Barry Caplan

| Would it be nice to have a place to publicize PUA uses so that the
| codepoints can be used? Something like CPAN for Perl perhaps?
| Otherwise it seems like a lot of wheels might be reinvented...

There is such a thing already, and it's called Unicode. The idea is
that if you want to interchange a character you make it part of
Unicode.

A lot of people seem to want to use the PUA for interchange, though.
For example, ISO SC34/WG1 is thinking of adding a facility for
declaring the identity of PUA code points (as used by a particular
user/organization) to their XML schema language. I am not sure that
that is a very good idea, but it remains to see what kind of proposal
they actually come up with.