Re: Acrobat, Unicode, Advanced usage

From: Tex Texin (tex@i18nguy.com)
Date: Sun Jun 30 2002 - 02:44:39 EDT

Hi,
Thanks to everyone that replied.

As an initial trial I made a PDF of the Compelling Unicode example page.
I made it by reading the html page with Word, tweaking the text and
layout and printing to a postscript file.
Then I converted to pdf with gsview/ghostscript.

I played with a few of the settings to improve the quality. I am still
not happy with some of the languages. The entry for Republic of China
seems particularly bad. I used the settings for embedding fonts, but I
suspect it is not embedding all of them. The output is similar to but
not nearly as good as the Word output.

If you want to have a look the file is at:
http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode/unicodeexample.pdf

Suggestions for improving the fonts or resolution would be greatly
appreciated.

The reason I wanted to make a pdf of this page is that apparently it has
been useful and effective for some people promoting Unicode to
management or customers. However, downloading fonts and playing with
browsers is daunting for some. A PDF file would make it accessible to a
wider community.
This file might be adequate, but I think having better font drawing
would make it more persuasive.

I am not averse to buying Acrobat if it would do a better job, but I got
the impression it wouldn't.

tex

Making e-Business Work Around the World