Re: FW: Inappropriate Proposals FAQ

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 09:03:28 EDT

At 05:22 +0100 2002-07-04, William Overington wrote:

>Has the Unicode Technical
>Committee in fact ever discussed the possibility of whether or not to encode
>chess diagrams in regular Unicode at all?

No, but I suspect that if they were to do so they would quickly come
to the conclusion that markup was best for describing the chess board
into which the chess characters were arranged.

>One script which the Unicode Technical Committee has turned down is the
>Phaistos Disk Script. There is a document, which if I may say so is of high
>quality, about the proposal for encoding of the Phaistos Disk Script into
>Unicode, into Plane 1. It was rejected. Is this really for a purported
>reason that the script is only found on one item at present?

That, and the fact that it hasn't been deciphered.

>How about discussing the Phaistos Disk Script in this new FAQ document?

How about not? General aphorisms are better in this case.

>As for the script regarding the cipher in relation to a movie. I feel that
>the characters are very elegant and I noticed in particular that the
>characters are non-contiguous within themselves.

The point made was that the writing system was cumbersome and
inefficient qua writing system.

--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com