Re: The pointless thread continues

From: Lars Marius Garshol (larsga@garshol.priv.no)
Date: Fri Jul 05 2002 - 14:20:03 EDT

* Michael Jansson

| I don't care if an OS does Unicode or not, as long as I can produce
| Unicode web pages that browsers can show.

You can.

| Why should a browser be limited by the shortcomings of the platform
| it runs on?

Ponder that one for a while, and you might learn something.

And consider what Alan Wood said while you are at it:

  "And I wonder how many people want to be able to read Web pages in a
  particular language but don't also want to write e-mails and word
  processor documents in that language. Web fonts are not a lot of
  use when you want to produce documents."

| Unicode and HMTL4 are standards that has been around for some time.
| I wish browsers would fully support them, regardless of used OS.

A browser that supports HTML4 and CSS2 correctly will lose too many
users to be able to keep development going, whether open source or
not. HTML4 as a standard in any real and meaningful sense is DEAD,
and it cannot be saved any more.