Re: How do I encode HTML documents in old languages ſuch as 17th century Swediſh in Unicode?

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Jul 06 2002 - 01:21:21 EDT

Stefan Persson wrote,

> ... It wouldn't be poſſible to uſe the HTML <fount face>
> command, becauſe no Fraktur fount is commonly diſtributed
> with any OS.

...And, the Fraktur founts available on-line may lack many of
the needed ligature glyphs. In any caſe, theſe founts are not
uſually available in Unicode/OpenType format.

Until better ſupport exists, ſome kind of fount embedding may be
the beſt way to go. Walden Fonts recently releaſed 18 attrac<ZWJ>tive
Fraktur founts which are deſcribed in this PDF file along with ſome
intereſting notes upon Fraktur history and typeſetting:
www.waldenfont.com/public/gbpmanual.pdf

(For the bibliographic databaſe here, which is private, the "font face"
tag is uſed for Fraktur book titles.)

John Hudson and/or Adam Twardoch may have links to newer Fraktur
fonts which are OpenType/Unicode.

Beſt regards,

James Kass.