Re: Keyboard entry on PCs

From: Doug Ewell (
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 13:24:15 EDT

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

> Let's say I was making a keyboard for Northern Sami, intended to work
> on PCs running Windows, and wanted to replace the Q key with the
> letter A. That's easy enough, but since Q has been replaced, it needs
> to be available via another mechanism such. On the Mac, you could
> have the following:
> plain q =
> shift q = A
> option q = q
> shift-option q = Q
> Can this be done on PCs with the Alt key or the AltGr key, or with
> some other key that won't interfere with the menu shortcuts and so
> on? Would Tavultesoft be the way to do this?

AltGr on the PC corresponds to ISO 9995 Level 3, as Option does on the
Mac, so you would use AltGr for this purpose. Keyboards that don't have
an AltGr key (all keyboards in North America, for instance) can use
Alt+Ctrl instead. Alt+key is reserved for menu shortcuts and Ctrl+key
for application-specific features.

You could do this with Keyman, or alternatively there are programs that
let you define "native" Windows keyboards (e.g. Janko's Keyboard
Generator). I have no idea how good such programs are, as I have not
used them.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Sun Jul 07 2002 - 11:49:01 EDT