Re: Common input methods for IPA

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 11:24:03 EDT

Marc Wilhelm Küster <kuester at saphor dot net> wrote:

> Lukas' German-based phonetic keyboard is something I'll definitely
> take a deeper look into -- what I saw so far on the quoted URL is
> promising. It comes closest to a turn-key solution for Germany for
> the time being. At the same time I'll also have a look at the UniPad
> keyboard.

Remember that SC UniPad is a standalone Unicode text editor. Keyboards
designed for UniPad can't really be used with anything else.

Also, I haven't made my IPA keyboard for UniPad available yet, for the
reasons I mentioned: it's based on the images at gy.com (which are
somewhat difficult to interpret and which can hardly be said to depict a
"standard" IPA keyboard), plus there are several characters missing that
I haven't been able to find in Unicode.

If you still want to have a look at it, though, I can e-mail it to you
(and for that matter, to anyone who might be able to help me find those
missing characters!).

I have released six other custom keyboards for UniPad; anyone who is
interested should check <http://www.unipad.org/keyboard/> for more
information.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California