Hebrew support in Office.X

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 00:32:48 EDT

There's a debate going on on the Yahoo Hebrew Computing list (hebrewcomputing@yahoogroups.com): some people are insisting that Office.X for the Mac cannot handle
Hebrew script, while others are insisting that it can. (I don't recall
whether those that say it can have indicated that this is with Unicode / a
standard encoding as opposed to some custom font hack.) At any rate, it's
rather in need of a definitive answer from an authoritative source -- the
people that were looking for guidance are only getting more confused.

Can anybody from Apple or from MS's Mac division (is there such a person
here?) tell me definitively whether any version of Office for the Mac
supports Hebrew, and, if so, whether this includes pointing or accents
(te'amim / cantillation marks), and also whether this assumes any
particular codepage?

TIA,

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>