RE: Proposal (was: "Missing character" glyph)

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 14:00:47 EDT

Peter,

> >Fujitsu implemented it in the font rendering engine.
>
> But they were not dealing with complex-script support. That makes a huge
> difference. If there were not any glyph transformations between the cmap
> lookup and rasterisation, your idea indeed would not require
> major changes
> to the system. But we must assume a glyph transformation engine that lies
> between those two points.

I am presuming that you can use the power of the transformations to make the
job easier.

> > Many fonts such as
> >TrueType are encoded in Unicode even if the text is in code page. Thus
> Euro
> >would always be x'0020AC' even if you are running a Widows code page
> with the
> >Euro mod.
>
> Yes, but if the software is using an old codepage, e.g. the original
> codepage 1252, then 0x80 will be getting mapped in the codepage
> to U+0080,
> and that is what will be retrieved from the font. My point still stands.

If the font cmap is Unicode encoded, then the print system must convert 1252
to Unicode first.

> >Using glyph positioning you can with the worst variation limit the
> number of
> >glyphs to 87.
>
> OK, this is an interesting idea that could work: at cmap-lookup time, the
> layout engine identifies characters that are not supported in the
> cmap and
> instead inserts a sequence of four or six glyphs (or perhaps more with
> your trick for indicating planes -- I don't recall the details)
> while also
> setting whatever features are needed to get GPOS lookups (or
> equivalent in
> systems other than OpenType) to happen.
> Why 87 glyphs? I.e. why so many? Couldn't it be done with 16 plus
> what you
> need for indicating planes?

87 is the worse case implementation using very a simple glyph positioning
algorithm.

The point of this proposal is not to provide a solution for all cases but
rather a standard way to provide a high end answer to the problem of missing
glyph handling. This would be a solution that would provide more
information than a simple single missing character glyph. I suspect that it
would be best to have a font expert work on a prototype solution to
determine how difficult it would be to implement.

One might even be able to use something like font linking to add a font of
last resort that would handle this condition. However I am not sure that
this solution might not need font engine or open type modifications.

Carl