Re: FW: New version of TR29:

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 12:46:10 EDT

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> As enticing as it sounds, disunifying it would not solve the problem; it
> would simply move it from the text boundaries category to the legacy
> data conversion category.

Somewhat off the topic:

What I've never understood is why Unicode is so adamant that the ' of
English words is a punctuation mark, not a letter; why when disambiguating
U+0027, English apostrophe is to be mapped to U+2019 and not U+02BC.
It's true that historically "isn't" is derived from "is not", but
synchronically it seems to me to function as a letter in every respect.
It has no sound, but neither does Romance "h"; both exist as a marker of
etymology.

--
Deshil Holles eamus.  Deshil Holles eamus.  Deshil Holles eamus.
Send us, bright one, light one, Horhorn, quickening, and wombfruit. (3x)