RE: Revised proposal for "Missing character" glyph

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 00:18:14 EDT

James,

To be consistent for horizontal hex you should represent U+11234 as either:

011
234

 or

0001
1234

With vertical hex it is:

013
124

Once you get used to it, it makes lots of sense. For example it is sometimes used for ASCII or EBCDIC dumps:

This is a test
56672672627677
48930930104534

You could do a Unicode BMP as:

This is a test
00000000000000
00000000000000
56672672627677
48930930104534

For a full range Unicode as:

This is a test
00000000000000
00000000000000
00000000000000
00000000000000
56672672627677
48930930104534

The big advantage is that you see the original text as printable uinchanges and the hex descriptions as next to the character so you don't have scales an positions to count like other dump formats.

> I made a TTF for the BMP using the LTR-TTB scheme. It's a
> large file. Here's a link to a screen shot showing some BMP
> control pictures from the old Reuter's page about the Tenth
> Conference:
> http://home.att.net/~jameskass/testlr00.gif
>
> If there is a preference for TTB-LTR control picture glyphs for
> hex notation, the font could be re-done...

How many glyphs? Did it cover all possible characters?

Carl