Re: ISRI SoEuro has just been created!!

From: Robert (bob4you27@excite.com)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 15:35:39 EDT

 --- On Fri 09/06, wrote:
From: [mailto: starner@okstate.edu]
To: unicode@unicode.org
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 08:01:24 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: ISRI SoEuro has just been created!!

> >Recently, I've created a brand-new 8-bit codepage for Windows and Mac
> systems called ISRISEO (International Symbolism Research
> Institute—Southern European), which is based on the codpages
> MS-CPW1254, ISO 8859-3, and ISO 8859-9. Very soon (I hope), you'll be able
> to input text easily in Maltese, Esperanto, ... even Azəri-Latin!
>
> I can; it's called UTF-8.
--Reply 1--
Yes—you can, but only on Windows 2000/XP, BeOS, Linux, and Mac operating systems. What's still needed was a suitable Latin-3-based 8-bit codepage to enable Windows 95/98/ME and DOS users to do the very same thing (typing in Maltese and Esperanto, that is)!! It's why I've recently programmed the new codepage into (at least initial) existence, although it isn't yet used on any computers (because suitable files and packages still need to be made and distributed).
> Not only that, I can input text easily in German
> (modern, Old High and Middle), Gothic, Swedish, Vietmanese and many other
> languages. You're welcome to look at the list of Internet legal charsets -
> ; for bonus points,
> guess which ones you might see (a) in email; (b) on a Macintosh; (c) on an
> IBM mainframe; (d) on a webpage; (e) never (not disjunctive or injective).
> I see no reason why yours would be anything but (e); Esperanto speakers
> speak just about every language in the world, and OS vendors (outside of
> Linux) have not seen fit to add special support for Esperanto.
--Reply 2--
Users and speakers (especially) of the languages ISRISEO covers (Maltese, Esperanto, Turkish, Catalan, Galician, Azarbeyjani) would welcome the new encoding, and would employ it almost immediately!!
> As the use
> of Unicode goes up, the likelyhood that someone will support a new 8-bit
> codepage, especially one that doesn't add new support for a language, is
> dropping fast.

Just for those OSes and input methods that can use (the whole of) Unicode (ie.: Tavultesoft Keyman kbd layouts, and certain IME utilities), especially on Windows 2000/XP and the others in that group beforementioned.
Thank You!

Robert Lloyd Wheelock
Augusta, ME USA

Changed your e-mail? Keep your contacts! Use this free e-mail change of address service from Return Path. Register now!