Re: glyph selection for Unicode in browsers

From: Markus Scherer (markus.scherer@jtcsv.com)
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 12:03:36 EDT

    Tex Texin wrote:

    > However, a Japanese user might have to choose a Japanese font, if the
    > Unicode font does not favor (and cannot be made to favor with language
    > tags) Japanese renderings.
    > So it's catch 22. They have native fonts because Unicode fonts are
    > inadequate, but we can be relieved that although Unicode fonts are
    > inadequate, we are lucky the users don't use them.

    I am not sure this is as bad as it may sound:
    Modern "native fonts" use Unicode cmaps (mapping tables from _Unicode text_ to glyph IDs) instead of SJIS/whatever cmaps.
    They will just not contain entries for much else but "native" characters.

    In that sense, those native fonts will also be "Unicode fonts".
    Operating systems and browsers are also getting better at automatically selecting fallback fonts for characters that are missing in the main font.

    markus