RE: glyph selection for Unicode in browsers

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 15:21:56 EDT

    On 09/26/2002 01:15:37 PM "P. J. Patterson" wrote:

    >I think, ideally, I would be looking for a program to examine a
    >document, compare to the selected fonts (with fallback), and then list
    >the missing glyphs for individual handling.

    It wouldn't be all that difficult for someone to create a tool that
    compared a set of data with a preferential list of fonts to determine which
    characters are going to be supported by which fonts, and which are not
    covered. That still wouldn't address Tex's concern with regard to
    language-specific glyph preferences, unless the tool also knew which fonts
    were designed for which languages (or give preference to which languages as
    defaults).

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485
    E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>