Re: Sporadic Unicode revisited

From: Keld Jørn Simonsen (keld@dkuug.dk)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 15:59:41 EDT

    On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 02:47:42PM -0400, John Cowan wrote:
    > Mark Davis scripsit:
    >
    > > Those "mnemonics" in (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1345.html) are pretty
    > > useless in practice, as well as being misnamed. From Websters: "assisting or
    > > intended to assist memory". So what about the combination <;S> is supposed
    > > to aid or assist memory in coming up with U+02BF MODIFIER LETTER LEFT HALF
    > > RING? Beats me.
    >
    > ";" in many (though not all) mnemonics means "ogonek", so its presence here
    > is reasonable, considering that this character (which appears only in
    > ISO-IR-158) is the original "High Ogonek". Since ISO-IR-158 is for Saami,
    > perhaps "S" stands for "Saami". Writing "S;" would erroneously suggest
    > "S with ogonek".

    Well, the "S" stands for superscript, "s" here would mean subscript.

    > > In practice, if they were to be used in an IME, there would have to be some
    > > kind of switch to initiate typing one of these things. They are context
    > > sensitive (they overlap), so it would also need some kind switch to indicate
    > > the end of them. That is: THI could be <\u00DE, H> or <T, \u2253> or <T, H,
    > > I>.
    >
    > As RFC 1345 says, you write &THI for the first case, T&HI for the second, and
    > THI for the third. Mnemonics that are not two-character are written
    > &_..._ in context, thus U+1ECD ("o" with dot below) is written &_o-._

    Well, I dont think RFC 1345 encoded mnemonics is context sensitive,
    there is to be an introducer character to introduce each mnemonic.
    Also there is no need to have a switch to indicate two-character
    mnemonics, but for longer mnemonics there is a terminator switch, namely _.
    You can also use Uxxxx and Uxxxxxxxx as mnemonics, so there are some not
    so mnemoic ids too, including others, like the jxxxx and the like for 14
    bit Eastern Asia charsets.

    best regards
    keld