Re: [nelocsig] Re: Origin of the term i18n

From: Barry Caplan (bcaplan@i18n.com)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 15:00:48 EDT

    At 02:49 PM 10/11/2002 -0400, Tex Texin wrote:
    >According to XenCraft, if the software industry were to exert its
    >ability to influence the English language thru its control of message
    >catalogs used in software thruout the world, numeronyms (n7ms) could
    >replace words completely by the year 2016 (this is the year not
    >numeronym).

    The research analysts at i18n.com differ in their analysis. They assure me that the i18n.com developers can write a Apache module that would convert pages in encoded with characters from the traditional single byte encodings, such as the ISO-8859 series, to the new format in approximately 15 minutes. Any site that is on a server running Apache with mod_perl would then be automatically available in this format with no further intervention by the site's authors or owners.

    Planned follow on projects include forming a committee to extend precisely how the algorithm should apply to languages with more complex writing systems, creating a proxy server that browsers can use to convert pages from non-Apache servers, and adding support for various wireless browsers.

    Once proper funding is secured for the crack i18n.com development team, the conversion (c9n) and obsoletion (o8n) could literally be available overnight.

    Barry Caplan
    www.i18n.com