Re: Origin of the term i18n

From: Tex Texin (tex@i18nguy.com)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 14:49:04 EDT

    thanks Mark.
    I have made the fixes. A refreshed browser should show them.

    Seems to me I have seen a lot of mails with n11n when we were discussing
    it in Unicode.
    And although, 1/10,000 may not seem like a trend that's a single data
    point. Perhaps if you graphed its use over time? ;-)

    thanks very much for the c9ns.

    btw, All of the terms I identified as being used (Europeanization,
    Japanization, etc.) I have seen in print. The Europeanization one
    surprised me, but it was in an old DEC book that I scanned yesterday. I
    would agree the abbreviations are not heavily used and it is most likely
    jargon used in informal notes, email, etc. and probably source code, and
    not formal documentation.

    I am also going to add this note I just got from the research analysts
    at XenCraft:

    According to XenCraft, if the software industry were to exert its
    ability to influence the English language thru its control of message
    catalogs used in software thruout the world, numeronyms (n7ms) could
    replace words completely by the year 2016 (this is the year not
    numeronym).

    This would greatly reduce costs in the localization industry and
    increase the accuracy rate and universality of spell checkers. However,
    it would greatly increase repetitive stress injuries for the many still
    people counting characters on their fingers. Also, a great rift would
    occur within the Unicode consortium in the year 2009, as member
    companies are unable to agree as to whether ligatures count as one or
    two for the purpose of numeronyms. Finally the phone industry would move
    to a new keypad using 26 buttons for the entire english alphabet. This
    would be motivated by problems caused by numerical phone numbers
    representing numeronyms with unfortunate meanings for the owner of that
    number. The new english-coded phone ids would no longer spell anything
    in the numero-english of the year 2016.

    ;-)
    tex