Re: Character identities

From: William Overington (WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 05:33:59 EST

    Would it be possible to define the U+FE00 variant sequence for a with two
    dots above it to be a with an e above it, and similarly U+FE00 variant
    sequences for o with two dots above it and for u with two dots above it, and
    possibly for e with two dots above it as well?

    I may not have got the details right about this suggestion, but, if the
    general idea is thought good, I am sure that one of the experts on this list
    could codify it properly.

    ----
    It seems to me that there is middle ground between the two views being
    expressed.
    Suppose, for example, hypothetically, that there is a font available in
    Germany, named Volksmusik which is a display font intended for setting
    headings in modern German, such as for the headings in advertisements for
    restaurants and so on, and that in that font the a umlaut, o umlaut and u
    umlaut are all expressed using a mark which is something like a small letter
    e.
    Then, it seems to me that if a theatre restaurant manager has set out the
    text required for a menu for the restaurant for some special gala evening to
    be held soon using a plain text editor on a PC using a font such as Arial,
    with a umlaut characters appearing many times, sometimes in headings and
    sometimes in the main body of the text, then stored the text on a floppy
    disc and walked down the road to the print shop and explained to the print
    shop manager that here is the text content for the menus in Arial, could the
    print shop please supply 500 menus using that text content yet jazzing it up
    a bit so that the headings on each of the four pages is in a fancy typeface
    in a different colour, then it should be quite straightforward for the print
    shop manager to copy the text onto the clipboard from the Arial file, and
    paste it into some other file, then change the font for each of the page
    headings to the Volksmusik font, and make the font for the rest of the menu
    some plainer font.  Thus, some a umlaut characters originally keyed by the
    restaurant manager would display on the final menu as a with two dots above
    and some a umlaut characters keyed by the restaurant manager would display
    on the final menu as a with a small letter e above.
    The restaurant manager is, however, studying part-time for a research degree
    at the local university.  This involves producing essays about various
    aspects of the printing of German literature, including quoting passages
    from earlier times, taking care to distinguish clearly between a with two
    dots above it and a with an e above it, all within using a plain text file,
    so that there is maximum portability in sending copies of the essay to
    various people, including the project supervisor at the University and the
    editors of various learned journals.
    How is the a with an e above it set, bearing in mind that there is no
    precomposed a with an e accent above character in regular Unicode and also
    that it would be nice if the text could be searched for keywords using just
    the usual search methods?
    Would it be possible to define the U+FE00 variant sequence for a with two
    dots above it to be a with an e above it, and similarly U+FE00 variant
    sequences for o with two dots above it and for u with two dots above it, and
    possibly for e with two dots above it as well?
    I may not have got the details right about this suggestion, but, if the
    general idea is thought good, I am sure that one of the experts on this list
    could codify it properly.
    William Overington