RE: Character identities

From: P. T. Rourke (ptrourke@methymna.com)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 13:22:51 EST

    >This is not a typographic decision, it is a spelling decision,
    >> and not up to the font designer, I'd say. It is a typographic
    >> decision whether the diaeresis "digs into" the glyph below, or if
    >> an e-above looks like a capital e inside. But spelling changes,
    >> whether transient or permanent, should be the "author's" call.

    No, it is not a spelling decision. Both are umlauts: one with a letter
    form of /e/ and one with a letter form of ยจ . Any textual editor in
    the world would make that judgment call, and typeset according to the
    graphic expectations of his (or her) readers, not according to the
    graphic usage of the author, no matter how conservative the text.