ANNOUNCE: unicode.py command line query tool, v. 0.1

From: Radovan Garabik (garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 10:56:10 EST

    I am pleased to announce simple but useful command line python
    script, slightly inspired by ascii(1) program by Eric S. Raymond.
    So far it has beed tested only on linux, but should run more or less
    on any reasonably modern unix with python version at least 2.2.

    It is the first version, constructive critisism is appreciated :-)
    You can get the script at:
    http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/unicode.py/
    For best experience, run it on UTF-8 console.

    To show some examples of use:

    $ unicode.py euro
    U+20A0 EURO-CURRENCY SIGN
    UTF-8: e2 82 a0 UTF-16BE: 20a0 Decimal: ₠

    Category: Sc (Symbol, Currency)
    Bidi: ET (European Number Terminator)

    U+20AC EURO SIGN
    UTF-8: e2 82 ac UTF-16BE: 20ac Decimal: €

    Category: Sc (Symbol, Currency)
    Bidi: ET (European Number Terminator)

    $ unicode.py 00c0
    U+00C0 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH GRAVE
    UTF-8: c3 80 UTF-16BE: 00c0 Decimal: À
    À (à)
    Lowercase: U+00E0
    Category: Lu (Letter, Uppercase)