Re: Oh No! Not a new Adobe Glyph List!!!

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 15:55:39 EST

    At 09:35 AM 1/2/03 -0800, Eric Muller wrote:
    >Rick McGowan wrote:
    >>

    >>The AFII
    >>standard is not only obsolete, there isn't even any publicly available
    >>reference for the numbers.
    >What is the relationship between AFII and ISO/IEC 10036 (Information
    >technology -- Font information interchange -- Procedures for registration
    >of font-related identifiers)?

    AFII used to be the registrar for ISO 10036, but in 1998 decided to get out
    of this business, since the last request for glyph registration had been
    the 'euro' symbol in 1997, and that was a singly glyph. AFII wound down its
    business and was dissolved in 2000, not having received a single request
    for additional glyph registration.

    Yuchi Komachi, one of AFII's board members, and active in SC34, engineered
    the transfer of registration authority to GLOCOM in 2001, with particular
    emphasis on wanting to support the registration of some of the other
    entities, beyond glyph identifiers, that are described in 10036.

    At the moment, the GLOCOM site publishes identifiers for some of the
    ideographs. I did not see a way to get the identifiers for any other glyphs
    from their site, nor have I seen evidence of registration of additional
    glyphs or additional types of entities.

    A./
    Asmus Freytag
    former AFII president