Re: Unicode and Encoding Problems in Browsers

From: Muhammad Asif (
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 01:17:00 EST

  • Next message: "RE: {SPAM?} RE: CJK test data"


    I have checked it with window 2000 Server and NT, same problem lies there.
    I also checked it by installing jvm for windows but no use.

    On Win XP Professional i checked it with Netscapte 7.0 and it works fine.
    All the characters are displayed properly in text boxes.

    I will check it down on Win 98 too.


    At 12:56 PM 2/7/2003 +0000, Shlomi Tal wrote:
    >I'd like to mention that this problem which Muhammad Asif brings forth is
    >an extant one in my circle of work. I work as PC technician, and one
    >complaint I often get in tech support calls is that the user is unable to
    >type Hebrew in the Search box in the MSN Israel website ( under
    >Windows XP. At the first time, I told the user to set the "Language for
    >Non-Unicode Programs" (known as the System Locale in Windows 2000, which
    >sets the emulated ANSI codepage), but it didn't help: the user still
    >complained of seeing boxes instead of proper Hebrew letters. The encoding
    >of is "Hebrew (Windows)".
    >It doesn't happen under all machines. Mine at home runs XP too, but I
    >don't have that problem. I suspect it's not related to Unicode/encodings
    >stuff at all. The fact that it appears only under XP (and not 2000 or 98,
    >for instance) leads me to believe it may have something to do with the
    >Java VM (which is by default lacking in XP and updates browser components
    >when installed).
    >I hope that is of some enlightenment.

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Mon Feb 10 2003 - 02:16:18 EST