Re: Everson Mono

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Feb 15 2003 - 19:03:13 EST

    John Hudson <tiro at tiro dot com> wrote:

    > Andale Mono WT from Monotype has 50,422 glyphs. At least, that's how
    > many the slightly old version I have contains. My guess is that they
    > have a newer version with more glyphs.

    I can't relate. The version of "Andale Mono" (no "WT") that ships with
    Windows 2000 has around 700, so I've never thought of it as being useful
    outside the WGL4 range.

    On a somewhat related note, here's a utility I'd like: something that
    could look inside a TrueType or OpenType font and tell me what Unicode
    code points it covers (i.e. has one or more glyphs for). Recently I was
    adding an IPA pronunciation to one of my Web pages, and wanted to insert
    a <font face="..."> tag to help select a font that would actually
    display the IPA. (Yes, I know style sheets are better than font-face.
    That isn't the point.)

    I found that many fonts that claim to support the "IPA Extensions" block
    actually support only a handful of characters in that block, such as
    U+02D9 DOT ABOVE, and I had to plug each font one-by-one into Character
    Map (or the Web page) to find those that would display my text. So I'd
    like to know if there is an easier way to find out which fonts support
    character X, or failing that, if the OT and TT specs are written in such
    a way that I could write my own program to do this.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California