Custom fonts (was: Tolkien wanta-be)

From: Pim Blokland (pblokland@planet.nl)
Date: Sat Mar 15 2003 - 13:52:17 EST

    Chris Jacobs schreef:

    > Font developers should be free to develop fonts without having to
    decide
    > where in the end-user's pua it is supposed to be.
    >
    > My pua, the pua of font developer A, and the pua of font developer
    B should
    > be considered three different spaces, so that there be no conflict
    when
    > developer A and B put different chars on the same code point.

    Then how would you access such a character?
    Currently, this is defined by the font + the codepoint. I.E. to
    display a certain character on the screen, you tell the computer
    which font to use and which codepoint to output.
    If a font's codepoints are not fixed, how do you display this
    character? I.E. if a certain character is not fixed at U+EF00, you
    cannot simply have a text file with the value 0xEF00 in it and
    expect it to print.

    Pim Blokland