Re: Hangul area-a

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Sun Apr 20 2003 - 06:05:26 EDT

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Martin Heijdra wrote:

    > I am mapping a series of archaic Hangul syllables to the Hangul Jamo. Now,
    >
    > Character 119E, Hangul Jungseong area ==> arae-a
    >
    > can occur both to the right and to the bottom of initials, say, 1100 Hangul
    > choseong kiyeok, and

      Could you send me a sample image or put it up somewhere?
    Hangul vowel Arae-A (U+119E) is supposed to go *below*
    leading consonants according to 'HunMinJeongEum
    EonHae' (see http://jshin.net/i18n/korean/hunmin.html or
    http://jshin.net/i18n/korean/hunmin.pdf. see the the fifth bullet point
    in section 3 in PDF.)

    I may have seen it go to the right in some old documents, but I'm not sure.

    > the original encoding distinguishes between the two.
    > How can I maintain that distinction?

       variation selector?? U+119E is not listed in
    http://www.unicode.org/Public/4.0-Update/StandardizedVariants-4.0.0.html
    so that it's not conformant to use it for U+119E...

    ----quote-----
    The tables here exhaustively lists the valid, registered combinations of
    base character plus variation indicator. All combinations not listed in
    StandardizedVariants.txt are unspecified and are reserved for future
    standardization; no conformant process may interpret them as
    standardized variants. Variation selectors and their use are described
    in The Unicode Standard
    ----quote----

      Jungshik