Re: Private Use Area

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 11:46:49 EDT

    Michael (michka) Kaplan <michka at trigeminal dot com> wrote:

    > Unless you write your OS and your apps, you have to assume that
    > anyone or veryone may be using some random piece of the PUA and not
    > explaining it. Apps may try not to do this, and OSes may try to do
    > the same, but assuming that someone will not stomp on them is a true
    > and tried recipe for disappointment....

    I'm sure Michael already knew this, and just wanted to know what pieces
    have *already* been stomped on.

    I think information like this, about what ranges in the PUA have been
    used by what organizations for what general purpose, might make a good
    Technical Note. This is *not* a suggestion that the Unicode Consortium
    or UTC "standardize" or "sanction" or "approve" any of these uses, or
    list the code point allocations in detail. Just a description of the
    ranges, vendor/government/user, and general purpose of the allocated
    range (e.g. "additional Han characters," "presentation glyphs," or
    "artificial and constructed scripts").

    This might help people like Michael who want to assign one or more PUA
    code points without stomping on those who got there first.

    If anyone would like to send me this type of information, I can try to
    organize it into a Web page. I already know about:

    * the ConScript Unicode Registry,
    * assignments in Microsoft's Verdana Ref font, documented in Asmus
    Freytag's "What Is This Character?" PDF file,
    * assignments made by the Chinese government for GB 18030, and
    * William Overington's various PUA projects.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/