Re: TTC fonts

From: Thomas Chan (tc31@cornell.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 23:06:19 EDT

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Raymond Mercier wrote:

    > Can someone please answer a question about TrueType Collections (TTC) :
    > what do the fonts in the collection have in common, and how many might be
    > included ?
    > As far as I can see, up to three fonts can be combined in a TTC.
    > Can it be assumed that they all provide for the same Unicode blocks ?

    I've seen a TTC font that had four, maybe five font instances. It had Han
    characters with "precomposed" Bopomofo ruby annotation attached to each
    character; the extra font instances were for cases where the Han character
    had multiple possible readings. I don't know what the point of a TTC font
    was in this case, as it didn't save any disk space; the extra font
    instances were not as completely populated as the first, and didn't
    duplicate from the first.

    But I've usually only seen two font instances in a TTC font, and all that
    seemed to vary between the two was whether the Latin part was monospaced
    or proportional. Han characters, bopomofo, kana, etc. seemed to be the
    same.

    Thomas Chan
    tc31@cornell.edu