Re: Private Use Area

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 11:13:54 EDT

    Christopher John Fynn wrote on 04/30/2003 06:15:06 PM:

    > These pages you've made are very useful - thanks for making them
    available.

    You're welcome.

    > If very widely used operating systems or applications make
    > assumptions about PUA codepoints or ranges and this causes
    > particular problems or conflicts many will want to try and avoid
    > using those codepoints for their own purposes as far as possible in
    > order to avoid these conflicts. So, in addition to what you've
    > already documented, what I think would be useful to detail more
    > fully, as it come to light, are what effects this "corporate.use" of
    > the entire BMP PUA actually has on particular code points or ranges...

    I'm assuming you read the page on PUA handling in MS software. So, are you
    saying what you'd like to see added in that case (and likewise for other
    platforms) is a summary showing for the entire BMP PUA which sub-ranges may
    be problematic in MS software? If so, I agree that would be useful, but
    would take a little more research for Windows.

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485