Re: The text copying facility in Unicode code chart pdf files.

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 11:22:38 EDT

    William Overington <WOverington at ngo dot globalnet dot co dot uk>
    wrote:

    > I have found that some of the pdf files for the Unicode code charts
    > allow me to copy the name of the character onto the clipboard and then
    > paste it into a WordPad document and some of the pdf files do not.
    >
    > For example, I have today been making a list of vowels with macrons
    > and then a list of vowels with acutes. This is because of producing a
    > documentation file about using a font to set Old English.

    This seems like too much work to go through. Just pick up the latest
    copy of UnicodeData.txt:

    http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData.txt

    Load the whole shebang into WordPad (or whatever), then search for WITH
    MACRON or WITH ACUTE.

    Or, you could use a search tool like "find" (shipped with all
    Windows/DOS systems) or the more powerful "grep" to search
    UnicodeData.txt.

    These solutions are not only easier, but more powerful, and keep you
    from missing some characters because you didn't think to look in that
    particular PDF file. (Did you find Y WITH MACRON in the U+0200 block?)

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/