RE: how to sort by stroke (not radical/stroke)

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 11:14:05 EDT

    On Thu, 15 May 2003 13:54:54 +0200, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

    > I doubt that this would be sufficient in all cases. The radical are often
    > the first (left, top) component of a character, and most radicals have many
    > more than two strokes. So, considering only the first two strokes of each
    > character, would result in big groups of characters being sorted randomly
    > (i.e., all those character whose radical is bigger than two strokes and
    > whose residual stroke count is the same).

    Maybe you're right.

    > Does this also include the (relatively new) "CJK components" block? If yes,
    > it might be worth filling in a proposal to add those components, in order to
    > complete the IDS sub-system.

    I'm afraid that I've never heard of the "CJK components" block - is it a
    proposed block, or are you referring to the "Kangxi Radicals" and "CJK Radicals
    Supplement" blocks ? Remember that radicals are only a subset of ideographic
    components (and the Kangxi Radicals are only a subset of radicals used in
    earlier dictionaries such as Shuowen and Yu Pian).

    I seem to remember reading somewhere that the IRG were including in the CJK-C
    proposal some ideographic components that are not standalone ideographs. I
    suspect that if you had a few months to spare you could probably wade through
    CJK-C and find half the missing ideographic components. But as you say, it would
    probably be worthwhile someone (not me) submitting a proposal for any missing
    ideographic components.

    Andrew