how to sort by stroke (not radical/stroke)

From: Gary P. Grosso (gpg@arbortext.com)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 09:52:05 EDT

    Hi unicoders,

    The desire is expressed as:

       Using Radical/Stroke method will first group the indexes by radical,
       and then stroke. Stroke method only groups indexes by strokes of
       Chinese word. Since Stroke method is much easier to look up, it has
       become the most popular sorting method in Traditional Chinese.
       Radical/Stroke method is acceptable but it's not a usual practice in
       Traditional Chinese.

    The view from development is:

       Our radical/stroke sort relies on the fact that unicode order is the
       same as radical/stroke order. Stroke order, then, is something
       different. Seems like we would need order entries in the config data
       for every character, which would be totally unmanageable.

    I didn't have any luck searching the Unicode web site for information
    about sorting by stroke.

    Does anyone have any experience with this, or pointers to information?

    Thanks,
    Gary

    ---
    Gary Grosso