Re: Problem with Arial Unicode MS font for BOLD/ITALICS in PDF

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 18:10:24 EDT

    On Sat, 2003-06-21 at 02:04, Michael Everson wrote:

    > Roozbeh informs me that "oblique [Naskh] is a standard things
    > nowadays, specially since it can usually be done automatically in
    > software. Both slanted and backslanted." Certainly I saw italic
    > signage in Kabul.

    Just to confirm.

    BTW, one of my concerns in writing automatic typesetting software, is
    what you do if you want to emphasize a paragraph containing both Arabic
    and Latin:

    The preferred angle for slanting Arabic is toward left, while the
    preferred angle for Latin is toward right. So, if you want your
    paragraph to look both consistent and nice, you should slant the whole
    text (including the Latin) to left if the main text is in Arabic.

    Now, assume how bad it will look to a Latin reader...

    roozbeh