Re: Problem with Arial Unicode MS font for BOLD/ITALICS in PDF

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 17:34:03 EDT

    At 17:03 -0400 2003-06-20, John Cowan wrote:
    >Michael Everson scripsit:
    >
    >> >I think that Italic is to avoid for most Asian scripts, as readers
    >> >are not used to it. For Arabic it may cause problems because of the
    >> >placement of diacritic points.
    >>
    >> It sounds as though you are guessing.
    >
    >Well, I certainly am, but it sounds quite plausible to me that having a
    >mechanically slanted face for either Han or Arabic would not be sensible.

    Roozbeh informs me that "oblique [Naskh] is a standard things
    nowadays, specially since it can usually be done automatically in
    software. Both slanted and backslanted." Certainly I saw italic
    signage in Kabul.

    And it doesn't take much manga to know that italics are certainly
    used with Han characters.

    Diacritics are placed in Latin and Greek text and we are satisfied to
    italicize them. My statement stands.