Re: Revised N2586R

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 11:39:24 EDT

    William Overington <WOverington at ngo dot globalnet dot co dot uk>
    wrote:

    > Well, certainly authority would be needed, yet I am suggesting that
    > where a few characters added into an established block are accepted,
    > which is what is claimed for these characters, there should be a
    > faster route than having to wait for bulk release in Unicode 4.1.
    > If these characters have been accepted, why not formally warrant their
    > use now by having Unicode 4.001 and then having Unicode 4.002 when a
    > few more are accepted? These minor additions to the Standard could be
    > produced as characters are accepted and publicised in the Unicode
    > Consortium's webspace. If the characters have not been accepted then
    > they cannot be considered ready to be used, yet if they have been
    > accepted, what is the problem in releasing them so that people who
    > want to get on with using them can do so? Some fontmakers can react
    > to new releases more quickly than can some other fontmakers, so why
    > should progress be slowed down for the benefit of those who cannot
    > add new glyphs into fonts quickly?

    That's just the way standards work. You have to wait until final, FINAL
    approval and official release before you can do newly approved things
    conformantly. There has to be a chance for the authority at the very
    end of the process to say, "Wait a minute, I see a problem, this can't
    go out like this." Dealing with a problem that slipped through because
    the process was "fast-tracked" or sidestepped is much more expensive
    than waiting for the process to run its course. This is not "a
    nonsense," it makes a lot of sense for anyone who's seen what can happen
    when process is ignored.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/