RE: Major Defect in Combining Classes of Tibetan Vowels (Hebrew)

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 12:36:18 EDT

    At 04:26 AM 6/26/2003, Jony Rosenne wrote:

    >I don't think we need any new characters, ZERO WIDTH SPACE would do and it
    >requires no new semantics.

    ZERO WIDTH SPACE would screw up search and sort algorithms, I think,
    because it is not a control character per se and may not be ignored as desired.

    I've made some tests using Ken's ZWJ suggestion and, as feared, it messes
    with the glyph positioning lookups. The results varied slightly between MS
    RichText clients and InDesign ME, but both displayed marks incorrectly when
    ZWJ was inserted. I strongly suspect that this is not something that can
    easily be resolved in the glyph shaping model.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    If you browse in the shelves that, in American bookstores,
    are labeled New Age, you can find there even Saint Augustine,
    who, as far as I know, was not a fascist. But combining Saint
    Augustine and Stonehenge -- that is a symptom of Ur-Fascism.
                                                                 - Umberto Eco