Re: French group separators

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 19:45:53 EDT

    At 07:41 PM 7/7/03 +0100, Michael Everson wrote:

    >The typing habit was designed to assist typesetters in reading the
    >manuscript as they were setting type. Traditionally, the typesetters never
    >set the extra space.

    Apparently not universally true (see my other mail).

    Also, when lines had to be stretched to fit, manul typesetters would not
    treat all spaces uniformally.

    Finally, the majority of typescript documents were never typeset.
    Nevertheless, the rule about the extra spaces after periods is apparently
    not limited to documents for typesetting.

    A./