Re: [Private Use Area] Audio Description, Subtitle, Signing

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 08:14:38 EDT

    William Overington wrote on 07/14/2003 02:28:03 AM:

    > There is presently discussion about the symbols to be used to indicate
    the
    > availability of Audio Description, Subtitle and Signing in television
    > broadcasts.
    >
    > This is being discussed in the Digital_TV and TV_for_All discussion
    forums
    > at the http://www.cenelec.org webspace.
    >
    > I am suggesting that the following Private Use Area code points be used
    for
    > the symbols at the present time.

    Sigh...

    William, CENELEC is an international standards body. Such bodies either
    create their own standards or use other international standards. They do
    not use PUA codepoints.

    > This could lead to a useful consistency of
    > encoding for use with interactive television systems. Hopefully regular
    > Unicode code points will be established at some time in the future, these
    > Private Use Area code point suggestions are simply to help in achieving
    > consistency in the mean time.

    Such things are *not* useful. They do not achieve consistency, not in the
    short term, and most certainly not in the long term. If consistency is
    needed, the standardization process is used to established standardized
    representations.

    Please, if you want to see things encoded as characters, then learn how to
    use the established processes for doing so (but please also learn what are
    and are not suitable candidates for character encoding).

    And might I also suggest that you create a Yahoo discussion group or MSN
    community for PUA use, and then carry on discussion of ways to use the PUA
    there rather than here?

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485