Re: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 23:34:26 EDT

    At 06:00 PM 7/22/2003, Rick McGowan wrote:

    >A solution with CGJ has been proposed, which is very general and can be
    >applied to this and other such situations.

    I get the impression that CGJ support is not very high on the list of
    things going to be implemented any time soon by the application developers
    that matter to us. I'm not saying this is right, only that it raises
    practical concerns about recommending this solution. Other control
    characters that have been around longer may not pose this problem, but may
    still require updates to existing Hebrew engines. I'm currently trying to
    figure out what works and what does not in the existing implementations.
    We're already recommending ZWNJ to inhibit meteg +hataf vowel ligation, but
    this has problems because the control character breaks the mark positioning
    lookups. I've yet to determine whether this is a fault in the font lookups,
    the shaping engine, particular apps or text services,
    or something fundamental to the architecture.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    The sight of James Cox from the BBC's World at One,
    interviewing Robin Oakley, CNN's man in Europe,
    surrounded by a scrum of furiously scribbling print
    journalists will stand for some time as the apogee of
    media cannibalism.
                             - Emma Brockes, at the EU summit