Re: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 09:48:46 EDT

    Peter Kirk wrote on 07/23/2003 04:40:03 AM:

    > I hope you are not suggesting that any application developers are
    > prepared to implement changes to support proposals which they have put
    > forward to the UTC but are not prepared to implement changes to support
    > alternative fixes to the same problems which may be preferred by the UTC
    > because they are acceptable to users. Well, this would be an acceptable
    > position if the alternative fix is much harder to implement than the
    > preferred proposal. But in this case the alternative fix, using CGJ,
    > seems to be actually a very trivial matter for a rendering engine.

    There's a concern that it may not be a good idea for a developer to
    implement support for CGJ just in relation to Hebrew, and that the proposed
    usage of CGJ for Hebrew is quite distinct from it's more general uses.
    Doing half a job may cost more in the end, and one has to consider whether
    one's implementation, intended for Hebrew, has had any unexpected effects
    on one's implementations of other scripts.

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485