Re: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew

From: Peter Kirk (peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 10:55:02 EDT

    On 23/07/2003 06:48, Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

    >There's a concern that it may not be a good idea for a developer to
    >implement support for CGJ just in relation to Hebrew, and that the proposed
    >usage of CGJ for Hebrew is quite distinct from it's more general uses.
    >Doing half a job may cost more in the end, and one has to consider whether
    >one's implementation, intended for Hebrew, has had any unexpected effects
    >on one's implementations of other scripts.
    >

    >- Peter

    >Peter Constable
    >
    >Non-Roman Script Initiative, SIL International
    >7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    >Tel: +1 972 708 7485

    Peter C, I guess that when you wrote this you had not yet seen my
    posting pointing out that in Unicode 4.0 developers are obliged to
    "implement" CGJ, quite apart from Hebrew, as a "default ignorable
    character", and that that required default behaviour is adequate, at
    least as a good approximation, for rendering of Hebrew according to the
    CGJ proposal. So, basically, there is no special CGJ support required
    beyond general Unicode conformance.

    I have been told off list that "Use of the CGJ is not acceptable. A host
    of people will fight that proposal as it sets some very bad precidence."
    But I have not seen any evidence of this; apart from some implementation
    related concerns, I have seen arguments against it only from Paul Nelson
    and Peter C. I would be very glad to hear from some of that host of
    people, and perhaps to help answer their concerns. But I would be very
    surprised if that host is actually as large as the host of those who are
    already fighting against the proposal to define separate vowels for
    biblical Hebrew.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter.r.kirk@ntlworld.com