Re: About CGJ (was: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew)

From: Chris Jacobs (chris.jacobs@freeler.nl)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 13:22:24 EDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Philippe Verdy" <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr>
    To: <unicode@unicode.org>
    Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 5:19 AM
    Subject: Re: About CGJ (was: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew)

    [ ... ]

    > If correct placement of diacritics must be specified, could we use the
    > ideographic description characters to create those combining
    > sequences with a more descriptive composition rule?

    Not if you actually want to have those diacritics correctly placed.

    Ideographic description char sequences are explicitly permitted to just give
    a description of what the composed char should look like, instead of
    actually rendering the composed char.

    v3,p269: "In particular, support for the characters in the Ideographic
    Description Block does _not_ require the rendering engine to recreate the
    graphic appearance of the described character."

    [ ... ]