RE: Back to Hebrew - Vav Holam

From: Jony Rosenne (rosennej@qsm.co.il)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 16:21:08 EDT

    The reality is that most users do not make the distinction, and the distinction is not at all similar to the U and V situation. It may be similar to what happened with U and V in early times, when some scribes decided they want to make the distinction, before it was generally accepted these are distinct letters.

    With Hebrew, it is not accepted that it is a different Vav - letters used as matres lectionis are not distinct from the same letters used otherwise. Neither is it accepted that this is a different Holam. The only thing established is that this artifact has been used in several manuscripts, one of many similar artifacts, to aid the understanding of the text. And the correct vehicle to convey such artifacts is markup.

    Jony