Re: From [b-hebrew] Variant forms of vav with holem

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 17:55:11 EDT

    Peter Kirk scripsit:

    > But there are other sequences which are
    > ambiguous between ending in a consonant or a vowel, notably yod
    > following hiriq, and vav with dagesh which may be shuruq.

    Luckily there aren't positional variants of these, however, correct? Both
    hiriq and shuruq are always centered.

    > I guess it is for reasons like that that we have
    > separate final letter forms in Hebrew script,

    Specifically, in Yiddish -p is written with non-final pe, as I believe
    is the case in Modern Hebrew also (in borrowings and abbreviations).
    Elsewhere, Yiddish p is pe-dagesh, whereas f is pe-rafe.

    > If we do want to distinguish the two positions of holam while
    > keeping it following the base character, the only way which doesn't land
    > us in a nasty mess is to define a second variant of holam.

    So let it be written (using
    http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n2352-form.html), so let it be done!

    --
    The Imperials are decadent, 300 pound   John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>